Skip to main content

Olive the Lionhearted by Brad Ricca

Olive the Lionheart by Brad Ricca is the true story of Olive Macleod and her adventure through Africa as she searches for answers to her fiancĂ©’s disappearance. Join Olive as she journeys through modern day Nigeria and Lake Chad as she encounters people, animals, and lands rarely seen by women in the early 1900s. 

I was very intrigued by Olive’s story and couldn’t wait to read a true account of such a strong woman in a time period accustomed to women who didn’t travel or take risks. I love historical non-fiction and wanted to love Olive the Lionheart. While the  subject matter was very interesting, I just feel like the final product didn’t quite measure up to the potential of the story. The book was longer than I was hoping and got slow in parts. But, the author tackled a little known story and made Olive shine. Overall, I would recommend this book because it sheds light on a women’s story in a time when women were rarely singled out and highlighted. 

Thank you to NetGalley for the copy of this book. All opinions are my own. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prayers for Prodigals

Parenting is often a hard and lonely road we walk. Having a prodigal child can make it even more isolated. Prayers for Prodigals is a wonderful resource for when you are feeling despair on your parenting journey. Each day is a verse to meditate on and a heartfelt prayer filled with scripture to uplifted encourage, and renew your weary soul.  I especially liked having prayers when it felt like my own prayers had run dry. To have pre written prayers for your child can be such an encouragement when you are feeling lost and hopeless.  This devotional will surely remind you of the power of prayer and the power of God to work in your life and your child’s.  #PrayersforProdigalsUpdatedandExpanded #NetGalley

Bible Promises and Prayers for Children

Bible Promises and Prayers for Children is a powerful and useful book for families. I loved each section and felt like the size of each devotional made it so it was not overwhelming for my family to do together. It’s a privilege and blessing to pray over and with my children and I’m grateful for this book to be able to have a quick and easy way to impart truth, love, and encouragement into my kids.  Thank you to Net Galley for this copy, my opinions are my own.  

How (Not) to Save the World by Hosanna Wong

I really loved this book! Hosanna Wong’s story is captivating and at the same time, approachable. I love being able to read the how and why of her way of sharing and loving Jesus. It was encouraging to me and a great reminder that our presence with Jesus is the biggest voice when people are looking at our lives.  Thank you to NetGalley for this copy, my opinions are my own.